Current Students
CIPE Home Current Students Everyday Life Procedures Related to International Student ID Temporarily Leave & Re-entry

Temporarily Leave & Re-entry

The Special Re-entry Permit System:
Those departing Japan with a passport and Residence Card who plan to re-enter Japan within one year and before the expiration of their period of stay, will, in principle, not be required to apply for a Re-entry Permit. This is called the Special Re-entry Permit system. However, residents who fail to re-enter Japan within the valid period will lose their resident status. Furthermore, please note that the period of validity of a Special Re-entry Permit cannot be extended while abroad.

Important Notice:
When international students temporarily leave Japan (e.g. during summer vacation) to return to their home country, travel to neighboring countries, or participate in a study tour or conference overseas, he or she should first receive approval from his or her academic supervisor or advisory faculty and file a Temporary Leave Notification with International Student Section


Created: March 30, 2010 / Last modified:November 26, 2014