IEC Home Researchers Everyday Life Moving


Moving out

When you are moving out of your accommodation, please tell your landlord (the person in charge of managing the housing) or property management company one month before your scheduled moving date and complete the designated procedures.

Be sure to clean your apartment and dispose of all garbage (especially bulky items) before moving out.

The security deposit you paid when you moved in will normally be returned to you after deducting expenses for cleaning, repairs, and renewal of the interior and fixtures.

At new apartment/house

Please make sure to check all damages, for example on walls or floors, when moving in new apartment/house and keep records for these damages, like by taking pictures, to avoid some troubles later, especially when the contract is terminated. If some damages are found, please inform about this to your landlord or management company at the start of tenancy.

Necessary Procedures

Notification to local municipal office

When changing home address in Japan, the following procedures at local municipal office are required.


  1. Necessary documents for Notification of moving in / moving out: Residence card (or Foreigner Registration card) or Special Permanent Resident Certificate, passport, inkan (name seal) and Notification card of12-digit individual number of "My Number".
  2. After new address is written on the back of residence card by the municipal office. Please send a photocopy of the residence card (both front and back) to the support staff for international researchers by e-mail.
  3. The notification to the municipality is obligation as provided by the Law. If you do not complete the procedure, you might be charged administrative penalty.

National Health Insurance

Before moving to a different municipality, a national health insurance card should be returned to the municipal office of present address. At the municipal office of new address, please carry out the re-joining procedures for the national health insurance. If moving within the same municipality, notifying a change of address to the national health insurance section of the municipal office is required.


  1. The national health insurance card should be returned to the municipal office if a person joins the mutual social insurance. If not, he/she will receive the bills from both, the mutual social health and national health insurance.
  2. International researchers who have been joining the mutual social insurance (e.g. Mutual Aid Association insurance system “KYOSAI” or UEC employee’s health insurance program “KENPO”), do not have any procedures for the health insurance issue.

Cancellation and Service-termination Charges for Telephone, Internet or Utilities, etc. for present address /Beginning of use these services for new address


  1. Communication Service
    Contact the companies that provide your fixed telephone and internet service of present address; complete the procedures for cancellation and service-termination charges.
  2. Utility Service
    As for utilities; such as electricity, gas, and water contact each company before a few days before your move out to clear off charges. Also, please make sure to inform electricity, gas and water companies for beginning of use for these services at new address.
    Tokyo Electric Power Company
    Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd.
    Bureau of Waterworks


Notification of change of address to bank, cell phone company or credit card company,etc.

Notification of change of address to bank, cell phone company or credit card company is also strongly recommended to do because the important information, including the detailed statements or bills, cannot be delivered, and it may inflict a loss for international researchers themselves. Thus, please make sure to make the notification of change of address to them.

Notification of change of address to Japan post (JP post)

Japan Post’s designated postcard for notification of change address is available at post office. Also notification of change of address can be done through the following URL:
e転居(e Tenkyo): (in Japanese text only)


Notification of change of address is for forwarding mails to new address for 1 year. It strongly recommends notifying new address to Japan Post to avoid lost or undelivered mails. It takes at least 1 week to start forwarding mails, so please submit the notification of change of address as soon as possible once the date of moving in new apartment/house has been fixed.

Procedure at UEC

International researchers who have entered into an employment relationship with UEC need to inform the Personnel and Labor Affairs Office (Main Building 4F) about new address and re-submit them the necessary documents, such as “Notification of Commute” etc.

Created: December 13, 2017 / Last modified:December 13, 2017