IEC Home Researchers Leaving Japan Leaving Japan

Leaving Japan

When Returning to Your Home Country


The following information is the basic procedures that international researchers who leave Japan permanently should be done before leaving. You may have other procedures you need to complete.

Please make sure to complete all necessary procedures before leaving Japan.

Check list (Leaving Japan) (Internal Access Only)

Moving Out

When you are moving out of your accommodation, please tell your landlord (the person in charge of managing the housing) or the real estate agent one month before your scheduled moving date and complete the designated procedures. Be sure to clean your apartment and dispose of all garbage (especially bulky items) before moving out. The security deposit you paid when you moved in will normally be returned to you after deducting expenses for cleaning, repairs, and renewal of the interior and fixtures.

Notification of Moving Out

When you fix the leaving date, you are required to submit in advance a moving-out notification to the municipality.
*The municipality accepts the notification 2weeks before leaving.
*The notification to the municipality is obligation as provided by the Law. If you do not complete the procedure, you might be charged administrative penalty.

Cancellation and Service-termination Charges for Telephone, Internet or Utilities, etc.

  1. Communication Service
    Contact the companies that provide your fixed telephone, cell phone, and Internet service; complete the procedures for cancellation and service-termination charges.
  2. Utility Service
    Contact each utility service company to clear off charges a few days before your move out.

Various Types of Certificates and Returning Library Books

Before leaving Japan, return the various types of certificates you have.
Please see also “Check List (Leaving Japan)” (Internal Access Only) to find out where you need to return the following items:

  1. Health Insurance card
    • National Health Insurance card: To the National Health Insurance section of your local municipal office
    • UEC Health Insurance card: To Section in Charge
    • Health Insurance card of The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association: To Section in Charge
  2. UEC Staff ID card or UEC ID card: To Section in Charge
  3. Membership card of University Coop: To the University Coop office
  4. If you have borrowed any books from UEC library or public libraries, be sure to return them as well.

Termination of Credit Card Service

Please contact a credit card company you made the card.

Bank Account

If you are UEC part-time employee, your final salary will be deposited to your account following months of the month you worked (the 17 days of the month). UEC does not send salary to overseas bank account. Also, you may be required to pay utility fees after you leave. Please well-consider all circumstances and decide when you close your bank account.

※Japan Post Bank (also called Yucho Bank or JP Bank) can accept closing a bank account by the third party who has your proxy letter. If you ask your friend or host faculty member to be your proxy to close your account after leaving Japan, please make sure to prepare the letter of proxy.


※Please remind that the most of Japanese banks do not accept closing the account by the third party even he/she has your proxy letter.

※Support staff of Office for International Strategy cannot be a proxy to close your bank account.

Pension Premium: Lump-Sum Withdrawal Payments

If you have a nationality that made the social security agreement with Japan and have paid your pension premiums more than 6 months during your stay in Japan, you will be able to apply “Lump-Sum Withdrawal Payments” to the Japan Pension Service within 2years after leaving Japan.

Please refer to “Return to Your Home County” and the following URLs:


Letter of Resignation

If you wish to quit UEC before the employment contract ends, you will be required to write and submit the letter of resignation to the Personnel and Labor Affairs Office. Please refer to the following form and example;


Created: December 13, 2017 / Last modified:February 14, 2018