CIPE Home Researchers ×06Family Members If a Child Is Born

If a Child Is Born

If a child is born in Japan, you must complete the following procedures.

1, Birth Notification

Obtain a birth certificate from the physician, complete the birth notification form, and submit them within 14 days of the birth at the municipal office responsible for the area in which you live. You will then be issued a birth notification receipt certificate. The following items are required to file birth notification:

2, Resident Registration

Bring the birth notification that is issued and complete resident registration at the appropriate service counter of your local municipal office within 60 days of the birth.

3, Passport Application

Apply for a passport at the embassy or consulate of your home country.

4, Apply for Acquisition of Visa Status and Period of Stay

Complete application procedures at the Immigration Bureau within 30 days of the birth.

Created: March 30, 2010 / Last modified:June 10, 2014