CIPE Home Researchers ×01Before Coming to Japan Tax Convention

Tax Convention

A tax convention states that when a resident of a country that has signed a tax convention with Japan earns income in Japan, the income is exempt from taxes in Japan and taxed in his/her home country to prevent double taxation on the same income. This is applicable only to those who plan to stay in Japan for less than one year.

Among the countries with which Japan has tax convention, the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Australia, Kingdom of the Netherland, Swiss Confederation, New Zealand and Sweden require citizens to acquire a Residency Certification from their home country before coming to Japan. Since it may take two to three months until its issue, please complete procedures as early as possible, and be sure to submit the certification with the Payroll and Mutual Aid Section of the Personnel and Labor Affairs Office within one month of your arrival in Japan.

Created: March 30, 2010 / Last modified:July 25, 2016