CIPE Home Researchers ×01Before Coming to Japan Visa


To enter Japan, you must obtain a visa that suits your purpose and period of stay in advance at the Japanese embassy (or consulate office) in your home country.  However, a visa is not necessary in general if you are coming to Japan for a stay of 90 days or less from a country/region with visa exemption arrangements, unless you receive remuneration from this university or another institution in Japan.

Reference: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

Since it usually takes about six to seven weeks to process a visa, please start procedures with ample amount of time.

In order to apply for a visa, a Certificate of Eligibility issued by the Immigration Bureau of Japan is required, except for Temporary Visitor visas.  UEC offers proxy application services for the Certificate of Eligibility, and you can apply for this service through a host faculty (coordinating desk: Center for International Programs and Exchange).

Flow of Procedures for Acquiring a Visa (excluding Temporary Visitor Visa)

  1. UEC submits the Application for Certificate of Eligibility along with other required documents to the Immigration Bureau after conferring with the visa applicant. (It usually takes about one month for the certificate to be issued.)
  2. UEC sends the issued Certificate of Eligibility to the applicant by international courier.
  3. The applicant applies for a visa at the local Japanese embassy (or consulate), bringing the Certificate of Eligibility that was mailed. (It usually takes about one week for the visa to be issued.)

Created: March 30, 2010 / Last modified:November 19, 2012