Extension of Period of Stay
The authorized period of stay for international students is one year, one year and three months, two years, or two years and three months, depending on the year of university study. The period of stay can be extended by completing the designated procedure at the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureauthe Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau within the two-month period before the status expiration date. After completing the procedures, renewed Residence Card will be issued. Bring the renewed card along with your passport to International Student Section, where a copy will be made for the university’s records.
|A: Student himself/herself||
|A: Student himself/herself||Research student||Required||Required||Required||Not required||Required||Required|
|B: Proxy application by educational institution staff||
|Required||Required||Not required||Required||Not required||Required|
|B: Proxy application by educational institution staff||Research student||Required||Required||Not required||Not required||Required||Required|
- Passport and foreign resident registration card
- Application for Extension of Period of Stay (application form completed by the applicant) The form can be downloaded from The Ministry of Justice website(Japanese text only).
- Application for Extension of Period of Stay (application form completed by the university) You can request the form at International Student Section.
- Student registration certificate
- Academic transcript
- Certificate documenting research activities
- Revenue stamp (for handling fee)
Note: In any of the above-mentioned cases, if it becomes clear that further screening is necessary for reasons such as poor study conditions, submission of documentation concerning financial support, resume, final academic background, and so on may be required.
Created: March 30, 2010 / Last modified:November 26, 2014