Residence Card & Resident Registration at the Local Municipality
A Residence Card will be issued with the introduction of a new residency management system. The Alien Registration System has been abolished.
- Place of Issue
- A Residence Card will be issued at Narita, Haneda, Chubu and Kansai airports to those entering Japan with a mid-to-long-term resident status. However, for those entering via all other ports of entry and departure, a Residence Card will be mailed by Simplified Registered Mail to the individual’s reported place of residence submitted to municipal offices upon entry.
- Information shown
- In addition to a picture (face only), information such as name, nationality/region, date of birth, sex, status of residence, period of stay, and working permits will be shown on the card.
*Those departing Japan with a passport and Residence Card who plan to re-enter Japan within one year and before the expiration of their period of stay, will, in principle, not be required to apply for a Re-entry Permit. This is called the Special Re-entry Permit system. However, residents who fail to re-enter Japan within the valid period will lose their resident status. Furthermore, please note that the period of validity of a Special Re-entry Permit cannot be extended while abroad.
Resident Registration at the Local Municipality（Certificates of Residence）
Foreign residents who are eligible to receive a Residence Card are asked to visit the municipal office where they live with their residence card, and notify the Ministry of Justice where they live within 14 days of finding a place to settle down.
Those will have a Certificate of Residence made for them at the local municipality, just as is done for Japanese nationals.
*In case of moving or returning home, notification or application is required by the Local Municipality.
- Items shown
- Certificates of Residence for foreign residents will show name, date of birth, sex and address, as well as items unique to foreign nationals, such as nationality/region, status of residence, and period of stay.
- Issue of copies of a Certificate of Residence
- Foreign nationals will also be able to obtain a copy of their Certificate of Residence or a Certificate of Items Stated in Resident Register at the counter of their local municipal office, the same as Japanese nationals. (*Example: If you are required the copy to open a bank account)
For further information regarding the Basic Resident Registration System, please consult the following link provided by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications:
Notification or application procedures will be necessary in the following cases
- 1）Where to go：Local Municipalities
- When deciding on a new address, or when changing addresses (Moving-in Notification, Change of Address Notification, Moving-out Notification)
- * Please bring your Residence Card.
- * When changing to an address in a different municipality, you are required to submit in advance a moving-out notification to the municipality you will be leaving.
- 2）Where to go：Regional Immigration Office or the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau
- When you wish to extent the valid Period.
- When changing name, nationality/ region, etc.
- When you have lost your Residence Card or it has become damaged beyond use.
Those with employment status (with some exceptions), Students and Trainees:
When your affiliated organization such as employer or educational institution changes its name or location, or in the case of bankruptcy of a company, or in the case of termination of an employment contract, or in the case of transfer due to a new employment contract.
- Those with the status of: Dependent (as spouse): In the case of divorce or death of spouse.
Created: March 30, 2010 / Last modified:July 15, 2016