IEC Home Researchers Everyday Life My Number: Social Security and Tax Number System

My Number: Social Security and Tax Number System

In this system individual numbers ("My Number") is assigned to each registered resident of Japan. Adopting this system makes it possible for data related to social security, taxes and disaster measures to be efficiently administered, to ascertain whether personal data existing at multiple agencies are the same person's data, and to simplify administrative procedures.
Be aware that...

  1. This system applies to non-Japanese nationalities who have registered as residents with mid- to long-term stay visa status and special permanent residents.
  2. Your number is used throughout your life, except in cases when it is suspected that it has been leaked and is being used for illicit purposes. Please do not forget your number. Please also be sure to store the notification card in a safe place.
  3. The notification card regarding your individual number is sent by registered mail to the place of residence you provided when registering as a resident, and cannot be forwarded to a lab or other location. It must be received in person.
  4. An individual number card is issued for free to those who would like one. Affix a photograph of your face to the application form that is delivered with the notification card and mail it with a stamped, self-addressed envelope. You can also apply over the Internet.
    Individual number cards are sent to the municipal office with jurisdiction over your place of residence. After receiving notice that your card has been issued, please bring your residence card and notification card to the relevant section at your municipal office to collect the card. You need to designate a secret personal identification number.


  1. Please check the Cabinet Secretariat website for more information:


    • 0507-20-0178 (weekdays, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; in Japanese)
    • 0570-20-0291 (weekdays, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; in English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish and Portuguese)
    • 0570-3816-9405 (if unable to reach the above numbers)
  2. The Basic Resident Registration System has been shifted to the individual number (social security and tax number) system.

*If a notification card of your 12-digit individual number or individual number card was lost or stolen:

(For the notification card of your 12-digit individual number)

(For Individual number card)

Note: You have to pay the reissue fee to make new card.

(e.g) Chofu City charges the following fees for the re-issuance (as of April 2016):
Notification Card: 500 JPY
Individual Number Card:750 JPY

Please also refer to the following URL:

Created: December 13, 2017 / Last modified:December 13, 2017