CIPE Home Researchers ×05Immigration Procedures Immigration Procedures

Immigration Procedures

Japanese law stipulates that non-Japanese staying long term in Japan must complete various visa procedures at the Immigration Bureau and resident registration procedures at their local municipal office. For more information, please contact the Foreign Residents Information Center of the Immigration Bureau.

Temporarily Leave & Re-entry

The Special Re-entry Permit System:
Those departing Japan with a passport and Residence Card who plan to re-enter Japan within one year and before the expiration of their period of stay, will, in principle, not be required to apply for a Re-entry Permit. This is called the Special Re-entry Permit system. However, residents who fail to re-enter Japan within the valid period will lose their resident status. Furthermore, please note that the period of validity of a Special Re-entry Permit cannot be extended while abroad.

When you leave Japan temporarily with "Special Re-entry Permission" or "Re-entry Permission", you need to fill in "Embarkation Card for Reentrant" (Click the link below). Please present your passport and residence card with the embarkation card to an immigration officer at the passport control in the airport.

New format of "Embarkation Card for Reentrant" (from 1 April, 2016)

Extension of Period of Stay

If you would like to extend your period of stay beyond the designated period of stay, you must apply for an extension of period of stay before your current visa expires (such applications are usually accepted up to three months before the expiration of the visa). Staying in Japan after your period of stay has expired is punishable by law, and violators are subject to deportation.

Required Documents(Essential):

  1. Application for Extension of Period of Stay
  2. Documentation describing activities you engage in, the time period, and remuneration
  3. Passport
  4. Residence Card
  5. Handling fee (¥4,000) when your application is approved

Please refer to Ministry of Justice's website for further details of other necessary documents:

Change of Status of Residence (Visa Changes)

If you wish to engage in different activities from those stated in the visa you are currently holding, you must apply for Change of Status of Residence at the Immigration Bureau. However, please note that applying for a change of visa status does not necessarily mean that it will be approved. The required documents vary depending on the type of visa.

Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted (Part-Time Work)

If a non-Japanese who has a Cultural Activities visa or Dependent visa wishes to work part-time (including on-campus activities with remuneration), he/she must apply with the Immigration Bureau in advance for a Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted. The permission is granted only if it is recognized that the work to be undertaken will not obstruct the activities designated in the original visa. Conducting activities with remuneration without obtaining this permission is punishable by law. Please note that those with a Temporary Visitor visa cannot apply for the permission and thus cannot engage in part-time work.

Created: March 30, 2010 / Last modified:August 1, 2016