CIPE Home Researchers ×06Family Members Pregnancy and Childbirth

Pregnancy and Childbirth

In Japan, there are various services to protect mothers and their children, and non-Japanese residents can also take advantage of these services as long as they complete resident registration.

If you are diagnosed as being pregnant, you should submit a pregnancy notification to your local municipal office immediately. You will then be issued a Maternal and Child Health Handbook (Boshi Kenko Techo), and you can receive various health services for mother and child. This handbook is used to keep a record of the mother and child’s health and growth and is required when undergoing health checkups and vaccinations.

As a rule, medical insurance, such as health insurance, does not cover the cost of childbirth delivery, and the cost must be personally borne. However, if you are enrolled in National Health Insurance or social insurance and apply for a childbirth lump-sum benefit, you can receive a benefit. 

Created: March 30, 2010 / Last modified:June 5, 2014